Monday, December 9, 2013

Trust

Yesterday's lesson in our Men's class at church was about Trust. It was Session 12 of 13 in a study we are doing called The Gospel Project. It's been good discussion and information that we've all been able to apply and "chew on."

The three points or "nuggets" from the lesson yesterday were:

1. We trust that God will never abandon us, John 10:27-29

2. We demonstrate our trust through our endurance, Hebrews 3:12-19

3. We pursue holiness as we trust in God's promise, Philippians 3:10-14

Like with my recovery, I want my walk with Christ and faith in Christ to last, endure, to the very end. I don't want to get burned out or give up along the way. I want to grow in my trust each day, trusting He is with me (even if He feels miles away). I want to allow the Holy Spirit to sustain me and equip me, encourage me, and carry me through the ups and downs. And, I want to pursue daily, His holiness and show my love for Him through my obedience.

"Steady wins the race." Life is a journey, a process, and can be full of "God moments" all along the way. I hope to slow down enough to see His work, see Him, and fully experience all He has in store for me, even if it takes years. The good thing is I don't have to wait until all of my "circumstances" or "personal issues" are resolved to begin to experience the peace of Christ. My growth will be slow. It's better that way. I just don't want to go backwards. I want to stay the course and move forward, even if it's "baby" steps at a time.

I still have growth to occur with money and spiritual leadership in my home. With money, I want to be freed up, confident, humble, generous, and have clear purpose and direction. A "bail out" probably won't occur. It's not what is best anyway. Slow and steady. Learn from others. Be teachable. Believe God at His word. Fill my mind with truth, wholeness, wisdom, and vision.

With spiritual leadership, I want to be a strong, humble, bold, and compassionate leader. I want clear direction from the Lord and to not waiver in fear or insecurity. I don't want my past to continually hold me back due to feeling "unworthy." I want Amy to grow in her trust of me and walk with me through life. I want to be more trustworthy, and understanding of her and God's calling on our lives.

I pray I won't sabotage Christ's work in me. I still have "mental blocks" that hinder my ability to run fully in "reckless abandon." When I get burdened by my "jacked up" thinking that keeps me stuck, I have to repent and remember the three truths from yesterday's lesson

He will never abandon me...
Endure/persevere to the end... (long haul)
Holiness is a pursuit, one step, one choice, one day at a time...

Jesus holds all things together. Will I trust Him today or not? I believe. Help my unbelief!
____________________________________________________
Hebrews 3:12-19, The Message
12-14 So watch your step, friends. Make sure there’s no evil unbelief lying around that will trip you up and throw you off course, diverting you from the living God. For as long as it’s still God’s Today, keep each other on your toes so sin doesn’t slow down your reflexes. If we can only keep our grip on the sure thing we started out with, we’re in this with Christ for the long haul.
These words keep ringing in our ears: Today, please listen; don’t turn a deaf ear as in the bitter uprising.
15-19 For who were the people who turned a deaf ear? Weren’t they the very ones Moses led out of Egypt? And who was God provoked with for forty years? Wasn’t it those who turned a deaf ear and ended up corpses in the wilderness? And when he swore that they’d never get where they were going, wasn’t he talking to the ones who turned a deaf ear? They never got there because they never listened, never believed.

No comments:

Post a Comment